How many times have you told yourself you don’t have enough time to plan your tests, so you might as well just get testing…
If you are anything like me, then this happens to you 2 or 3 times a week.
Classic examples are:
– When you run a short test on a piece of code that is “under development”, and the programmer just asked you for feedback.
– When you are running the sanity suite for the 900th time on the same system before or after it has been deployed to production.
– When you are checking your own code, just to make sure it didn’t break anything you didn’t intend to break in the first place.
And there are thousands of other occasions when we just say “the heck with it, I can just run a quick test without planning it”.
Well, if you are also like me, as soon as you catch yourself saying this nonsense you take out a piece of paper and write down the 5 or 6 things you want to test…
– Because when you are testing something you have never tested before you want to make sure you talk to the programmer and understand what the feature should do (and what it shouldn’t)!
– Because specially when you are running the same test over and over again in auto-pilot, you will get distracted and miss something that may be important in your sanity before or after release
– Because when you are checking yourself you are blinded by your own mistakes, and writing down your testing charter is a good technique to get some perspective and catch some of your own bugs.
But maybe most importantly, because you are a professional tester, and even if you are running a short testing session it is important to define your testing scope, and to be able to assess whether your are really done with your tests or if there are other things you should be testing.
If you want to be treated like a professional tester,
the first step is to treat your testing professionally.
Practitest is an end-to-end test management tool, that gives you control of the entire testing process - from manual testing to automated testing and CI.
Designed for testers by testers, PractiTest can be customized to your team's ever-changing needs.
With fast professional and methodological support, you can make the most of your time and release products quickly and successfully to meet your user’s needs.