So what can you do differently in 2016?
Our job as testers has a rhythm to it, we work in cycles much as the seasons of the year. Sometimes it’s a long process from start to finish and other times it’s quick agile sprint or even short check following a CI build. In any case it’s a process that relapses. So what can we possibly change? Turns out a lot!
Here is a compilation of a few points to ponder about over your holiday season. Get back to work motivated to work better and achieve more for yourself and your team.
- Ask Questions before it’s too late: Don’t assume! Make sure you understand everything (the user stories, requirements, or any other information you have about the feature) before building your tests.
- Listen to the users (more than developers): Always consider user stories as a priority to avoid getting swept away with development implementation details. Don’t get caught up (as a priority) with issues that aren’t relevant to the user’s experience.
- Learn something new: decide to read and participate in testing related blogs, forums and groups on a weekly basis to expand your knowledge. It will make your job more interesting and you will be a better tester for it.
- Document: Don’t wait to finish testing a feature to re-create your steps. Create high-level architecture diagrams for your solution and continuously document your steps on the go for easy reference and re-use. This will save time, and make sure fewer issues get over looked.
- Don’t get emotionally involved: For instance when an issue you submitted is downsized from critical to “non-issue”. In general, try not to take your work critique as a personal insult. This will ensure better work place relations and will help you focus on what your are hired to do.
Do you have a resolution’s list?
I encourage you share it in a comment below, so we can all benefit.
Here’s to a great year of testing, innovation and success in 2016!
Practitest is an end-to-end test management tool, that gives you control of the entire testing process - from manual testing to automated testing and CI.
Designed for testers by testers, PractiTest can be customized to your team's ever-changing needs.
With fast professional and methodological support, you can make the most of your time and release products quickly and successfully to meet your user’s needs.